Fabulous Female Friday: Mabel Pines
This is a new series I’m doing where on Fridays I draw some of my favorite female characters. To counteract the fact I rarely DO draw ladies in general. Today’s lovely lady? The ever adorable Mabel.
I just wanted to compile the two pain/fatigue charts that have been most helpful to me
seeing your NOTP (that you hate) on your dash, but understanding that it’s their opinion and ur not a hater
fado hasnt talked to me in like 3 days now hes watching Too Much Anime this must Stop
get to know me meme: ten female characters ♦ joan watson
↳ “My point is that the only thing that anyone can predict about people with a 100 percent certainty is that they’ll change, and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.”
#Can I legit say that like I was surprised as hell#That he actually gave a speech about how the past isn’t as perfect as nostalgics like to pretend it was#And that he was a victim of racism and homophobia and that the NYPD was sexist as hell#And thus he doesn’t share the ‘Those were the good ole’ days’ attitude many others and the media do?#ALL MY LOVE (x)
But Perralta doesn’t really get it, though. That’s the part that really drives this scene home for me. Perralta listens to this story and still lionizes that bigoted old reporter, because he’s not ready to hear the truth, that his hero is scum. Perralta can shrug off this story and keep going, as he does, because that is what white privilege means: it means being able to listen politely and leave the racist experience. Holt’s entire life is a racist experience.
Perralta’s one of the Good Ones, but it’s not until Brogan actually calls his captain a “homo” in front of him that Perralta realizes and reacts. Holt’s sharing his own story is not enough — Perralta needs to see bigotry in action before he recognizes it as real. And isn’t that how our relationships with liberal white people always go? They get it, but they don’t really get it.
Brooklyn Nine Nine is a ludicrous comedy, but its emotional beats and complex relationshps are more honest and realistic than most dramas airing right now.
I love this show.
So I’ve been sitting on this gifset for a while, trying to think of how I want to parse this.
Maybe I’m following the wrong blogs, but I just do not see enough meta about Natasha’s story arc in this movie. This scene here is, to me, one of the three critical moments for Natasha that are the reasons she ends up being the one to release all of SHIELD’s data to the world.
As follows (quotes paraphrased as I don’t have the script):
- The first critical moment comes on the Lemurian Star, right after Batroc throws a grenade at her and Steve. They end up sitting on the floor and she says, “Okay, that one’s on me” and Steve replies “Damn right it is.” Her reaction to that isn’t disdain or frustration with Steve, it’s very clearly a form of disappointment — she’s upset with how Steve views her, his opinion of her. Sure, I’m reading a lot into that expression, but I think it is pretty masterful of ScarJo to show that side of Natasha in such an ambiguous way. The take-away here, however you want to describe it, is that Natasha’s unhappiness has less to do with being nearly blown up than with her working relationship with Steve. He doesn’t trust her, and that burns her.
- The above gif’d scene, where it’s clear that she’s pretty shocked and upset to hear Steve admit that previous to their current situation, he would NOT have trusted her. It’s a blow for her to realize just how she’s been perceived by those she’s given her complete trust and faith to.
- The scene where Fury’s survival is revealed is the final one, where Natasha reacts as if to a body blow when she realizes that Fury didn’t trust her, but he did trust Maria Hill. Earlier when he was “dying” it was clear that she’s somehow emotionally attached to Fury, and whatever reason you want to concoct for that, the fact is that she clearly believed that he did trust her…but he didn’t. My opinion of her reaction shot at the reveal is that she’s not angry about it, she’s heartbroken.
What I believe this all points to is really well reflected in her line to Steve, “I don’t know everything, I just act like I do” (paraphrased), and then reiterated in the truck ride where she talks about being the person she needs to be, as opposed to who she is.
In other words, Natasha is so good at being “whatever you need me to be” that it is exactly what the people who know her best expect of her, and accordingly don’t feel like she’s trustworthy because they don’t know the “real” her. Meanwhile she has been operating on the belief that they do know the real her and so therefore do trust her.
It’s like…a double blind situation, where both parties aren’t privy to the truth, even though they think they are. Everyone up to and including Fury “knows” that Natasha is a spy and nothing she says can be trusted; Natasha “knows” that the people she trusts see through that mask and trust her in return because they know the real her. She goes around in this movie constantly surprised and disarmed by the fact that her closest friends/co-workers doubt her loyalty.
So in the end, when Pierce is asking if she is ready for her past to be revealed, she is so fucking ready it hurts. She knows it is the right thing to do, but putting that on top of the experiences given above, it’s easy to see that she felt she had to do it for herself too.
Can she be trusted? You’re damn right she can, and she was willing to burn down her entire world to prove that fact to the very people she thought knew it already.
*Stands up and slow claps for this!* Alllllllll this.
And this is why Clint’s absence in this movie is so heartbreaking, because from the *very little* we got of Clint in The Avengers, the only two people we got a hint of his relationship with was Fury and Natasha.
His relationship with Fury seemed paternal-like (“I sent you here to keep an eye on things”) while his relationship with Natasha seemed sisterly (or romantic, but you know that they trusted each other).
I think Nat and Clint *get* each other, and Clint and Fury have such a close/antagonistic/trusting relationship that if she was in the room with them, she might have thought she was included in that.
Now she’s on her own and she sees that, no - she doesn’t. No one trusts her. Clint did but he’s not here and without him she’s The Black Widow again. She’s the ex-Soviet Spy.
And that burns.
Especially with Fury because (assumption here, but) he probably gave her SO MUCH. A choice. A chance. Clint opened the door, but Fury let her walk through. He could have had her shot, probably should have, but he didn’t. She thought that meant something.
It didn’t. Or, at least, it didn’t mean enough.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- 2 rounded cups macaroni, cooked in well salted water until just al dente, and drained
- 2 Tbsp of unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups grated smoked Gouda cheese, plus more for topping
- Set oven to 350F
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the flour. Whisk to combine, and cook for a minute or so, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk and whisk to combine, continuing to heat until the milk comes to a simmer and is thickened.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in the cheese, stir until all of the cheese is incorporated and the sauce is smooth. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Mix the macaroni with the sauce, and pour into a baking dish or individual dishes. Bake for about 30 minutes until bubbling throughout.
- Sprinkle more cheese on top and put under the broiler until the cheese is browned.
Avengers Assemble 1x17 - Savages [x]
I WAS ALL SET TO BE MAD THAT THEY WERE MAKING THOR A BIG, DESTRUCTIVE, DUMB IDIOT.
HE’S JUST AN OBNOXIOUS DICK WHO THINKS IT’S FUNNY TO CALL LIGHTNING IN THROUGH THE WINDOW TO MAKE POPCORN AND TOTALLY WRECK ALL OF TONY’S SHIT.
AND THE HULK SUGGESTING THINGS TO DO NEXT. I LOST MY FUCKING SHIT AND I’M NOT SURE I’M EVER GETTING IT BACK NOW.
WHAT A COUPLE OF ASSHOLES. I LOVE THEM SO MUCH.
The Avengers are always the most fun when they’re acting like a dysfunctional trailer trash family that just happens to have superpowers and goes and saves the world now and then.
dysfunctional trailer trash avengers are my kind of people